Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun
Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013 | 2 a.m.
- You need to upgrade your Flash Player
A week after Las Vegas Sun sports reporters Ray Brewer and Case Keefer could barely find a single game to disagree on, they line up on opposite sides all over the place. With all teams now in league play, they go through all the matchups and differ on how several will play out. They also look back on last week's game between Bishop Gorman and Booker T. Washington.
Gorman has won the past four state championships in not losing to a local opponent since the 2008 playoffs. The Gaels haven’t lost a regular-season game to a Las Vegas-area school since 2006.
Legacy is ranked No. 7 in this week’s rankings and is still riding high from defeating No. 6 Arbor View two weeks ago. Some feel Legacy is the second-best team behind Gorman in the Southwest.
But, how will the Longhorns’ players handle being humbled by Gorman? Gorman has a 50-game winning streak against Nevada opponents, winning all but one of the games by more than 20 points.
Enter the Gorman hangover.
That’s when teams struggle in the weeks after playing Gorman, realizing the dreams of a state championship are just that — a dream. So, is it better to play Gorman in the first week of league play such as Legacy this week, or at the end of the regular season? Let me know ...
Here are the rest of the rankings:
1. Bishop Gorman (4-2): Gorman begins play this week against local opponents. Up next: Friday at Legacy.
2. Liberty (3-3): Liberty showed last week in the fourth quarter against Coronado that it is still the class of the Southeast. The Patriots’ last loss in the Southeast was in 2009. Up next: Friday vs. Del Sol.
3. Canyon Springs (5-0): The Pioneers are the Sunrise Region’s lone undefeated team. They may be suffering from injuries, but they continue to win. Up next: Friday vs. Rancho.
4. Green Valley (3-2): The Northeast League is arguably the state’s top league, and Green Valley is arguably the league’s best team. Up next: Friday vs. Las Vegas.
5. Palo Verde (3-1): Palo Verde won the Wind Bowl against Centennial last week. The Panthers likely won’t be challenged again until the last game of the regular season. Up next: Friday at Shadow Ridge.
6. Arbor View (3-1): The Aggies had a nice bounce-back win last week against a quality opponent in Las Vegas. Up next: Friday vs. Spring Valley.
7. Legacy (3-1): Legacy is the first local team to get a crack at Bishop Gorman this year. Up next: Friday vs. Gorman.
8. Moapa Valley (6-0): The Moapa Valley schedule gets much tougher after this week with games against Virgin Valley and Desert Pines to close the regular season. Up next: Friday vs. Boulder City.
9. Las Vegas (3-2): Andrew Moreland rushed for more than 200 yards last week against Arbor View. With Moreland carrying the ball, the Wildcats have a chance against any opponent each Friday night. Up next: Friday at Green Valley.
10. Desert Pines (6-0): We’ll find out Friday whether the Jags are the real deal at undefeated Virgin Valley. Up next: Friday at Virgin Valley.