Las Vegas Sun

November 23, 2014

Currently: 50° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Home News

Get more news and info from where you live »

New election set to determine winner of NLV council seat

Image

Paul Takahashi

North Las Vegas Councilman William Robinson speaks during a special meeting on Thursday, June 30, 2011, about a special election in one Ward 4 precinct scheduled to take place July 19, 2011. The city is holding a new election in Precinct 4306 because one invalid ballot was found in the race between Wade Wagner and incumbent Richard Cherchio that was decided by one vote on the June 7 general election.

NLV Special Election Meeting

North Las Vegas Ward 4 candidate and dentist Wade Wagner addresses the media at City Hall on Thursday, June 30, 2011, about a special election in one Ward 4 precinct scheduled to take place July 19, 2011. The city is holding a new election in Precinct 4306 because one invalid ballot was found in the race between Wagner and incumbent Richard Cherchio that was decided by one vote on the June 7 general election. Launch slideshow »

The North Las Vegas City Council voted Thursday to hold a special election on July 19 in one precinct to determine the winner of the Ward 4 council seat.

The decision came more than a month after the Clark County Elections Department discovered an illegal ballot cast in Precinct 4306 in the general election between incumbent Richard Cherchio and Wade Wagner.

Wagner won the election by a single vote, 1,830 to 1,831.

Former North Las Vegas Mayor Mike Montandon, who filed a lawsuit against the city last week that resulted in a temporary restraining to block a new election, was displeased with the council’s decision.

“They just landed themselves a long, drawn out process,” said Montandon. “They’re making decisions that cost them money, not me.”

But some residents of Precinct 4306, like Michele Hunter, believe the new election is necessary.

“We need to correct a wrong,” said Hunter. “It was unfortunate that it happened, but it did.”

Despite the council’s decision, Wagner said he is moving forward with his lawsuit against the city to block the special election.

“Ultimately a judge will make this decision, I’m sure,” Wagner said. “This disenfranchises all the other people that might not have voted in other precincts.”

Cherchio, who recused himself from the meeting, said he was happy with the council’s decision.

“Regardless of where you stand on it, there’s no way to track where that vote went,” Cherchio said. “I really think the only way you can resolve this is just to have a new election within that one precinct.”

Residents of Precinct 4306 should receive letters by July 5 informing them of the details of the new election.

It will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Sedway Middle School. Early voting will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 11 through 15 at the Clark County Election Center.

The city must receive requests for absentee ballots by July 12. The form can be downloaded from the city’s website.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 4 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. The NRS is clear on this matter - a new election must be held. The City Council made the right decision in this instance by limiting the election to just this one precinct. This is the least expensive option and is the right thing to do. The Dentist can continue to press his case, but it only proves that he doesn't care about what's right for North Las Vegas. he just wants to run up the city's legal bills. I only hope the City goes after him for legal fees.

  2. Wagner said, "This disenfranchises all the other people that might not have voted in other precincts."

    The public is aware of one precinct being disenfranchised and that's because of a vote that was cast fraudulently. Unless Wagner is aware of fraud being committed in other precincts besides the one in question I don't see how anyone else is being disenfranchised. The problem is reportedly isolated to a single precinct and those voters (and the candidates) have the right to a correct record.

  3. This is a non issue. The election in the ward was not done properly so it needs to be done again. If wagner wants to waste his money on a fradulent lawsuit let him.

    All u people that say its going to cost too much money are morrrrrons. The one thing I am sure of is if he didn't win he shouldn't be in the office.

    I am a conservative. I would normaly support Wagner and his party. This is just one of those cases where right is right. It needs to be re done.

  4. Larry Lomax the Clark Registrar of Voters said that the expenses would be the responsibility of his Office since they made they mistake . No cost to NLV to Revote in precinct 4306.