Las Vegas Sun

October 20, 2014

Currently: 82° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Home News

Get more news and info from where you live »

NLV City Council meets to discuss special election

Click to enlarge photo

Wade Wagner addresses the media on Wednesday, June 15, 2011, after the North Las Vegas City Council called for a new election in one precinct in Ward 4. The Clark County elections department found one invalid vote was cast in the race separated by one vote between dentist Wagner and incumbent Richard Cherchio.

Click to enlarge photo

North Las Vegas councilman Richard Cherchio addresses the media on Wednesday, June 15, 2011, after the North Las Vegas City Council called for a new election in one precinct in Ward 4. The Clark County elections department found one invalid vote was cast in the race separated by one vote between incumbent Cherchio and dentist Wade Wagner.

The North Las Vegas City Council will meet today to discuss holding a special election in Ward 4, despite a lawsuit filed Tuesday to block the new election for the council seat.

The lawsuit, filed in Clark County District Court, seeks to halt a council-ordered re-election in one Ward 4 precinct between Wade Wagner and incumbent Councilman Richard Cherchio.

In the June 7 general election, Wagner won by a single vote, but five days later the Clark County Elections Department found one invalid vote was cast. The City Council voted on June 15 to hold a new election in Precinct 4306.

Wagner filed suit to block the election.

City spokeswoman Juliet Casey said the city has 45 days to answer the complaint, but unless the city receives a court order to halt the special election, planning will continue.

Cherchio’s lawyer Bradley Schrager said Wednesday that Wagner’s lawsuit has no merit.

“The City Council made a proper and informed decision and it was in the council’s discretion to do so,” Schrager said. “It’s unfortunate that Mr. Wagner would try and stop the democratic process.”

Todd Bice, Wagner’s attorney, said the city is ignoring its obligation to certify the election results.

“Instead, they are trying to protect their incumbent colleague from having to carry his burden to demonstrate that an improper vote was cast,” he said.

Wagner said the council is "saying is those votes (in Ward 4) don’t matter. Somebody has to speak for the 3,600 people who already voted and make sure they aren’t disenfranchised.”

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. The Clark County Registrar of Voters provided proof that an illegal ballot had been cast. The City would have been sued by a lot more people had they certfied the results, especially since the NRS is clear - a new election MUST be held in that Precinct. While he's getting his desired message out there, the City acted entirely properly in this instance.