Monday, Feb. 11, 2013 | 1:32 p.m.
A suspect in an attempted murder who was shot by Metro Police on Friday died of multiple gunshot wounds in the back, the Clark County Coroner’s Office reported today.
Metro, meanwhile, identified the officers involved in the shooting of 33-year-old Roberto Torres as Joseph Parra and Scott Thomas.
Para, 34, has been with the department for nearly 6 years, and Thomas, 50, has been with Metro for 17 years.
Torres was accused of shooting his girlfriend in the face at close range earlier last week, Metro Capt. Chris Jones said.
Officers spotted Torres leaving an apartment in the 4000 block of Pennwood Avenue, near Arville Street and Clark High School. He walked toward a vehicle parked on Pennwood, where he joined a man and woman, police said.
Police say that when officers confronted the trio, Torres pulled a gun and fired several shots at the officers.
Para and Thomas returned fire, hitting the suspect and the other man, police said. Both were taken to a local hospital, where Torres was pronounced dead. The second man was in critical condition.
The woman suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound and was treated at the scene, officials said. She was questioned by police.
The shooting of Torres was the first fatal officer-involved shooting for Metro this year.