Las Vegas Sun

August 1, 2014

Currently: 87° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

First coroner’s inquest under new rules is set for June 29

Image

Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun

A Metro officer stands by patrol cars at the scene of an officer involved shooting outside a Speedee Mart at 3011 East Desert Inn Road Monday, November 15, 2010.

A coroner's inquest in the November officer-involved shooting of Benjamin Bowman is scheduled for 8 a.m. June 29 and will be the first inquest to use an ombudsman to represent the decedent’s family.

The first step of the revised inquest process, a pre-inquest meeting between parties related to the shooting, was Monday at the Regional Justice Center and ended by setting the date for a second private pre-inquest meeting between the parties. The inquest is open to the public.

Monday's private proceedings were attended by law enforcement, Bowman's family, legal representation, the ombudsman, a District Attorney’s office representative and members of the coroner’s office. Officials discussed the facts of the case, evidence to be presented, the initial witness list and set a final pre-inquest meeting for June 3, according to a county news release.

Bowman died of multiple gunshot wounds Nov. 15, 2010, at a PT’s Pub near Nellis Boulevard and Sahara Avenue.

Police said Bowman took a female bartender hostage with a knife during a failed robbery attempt. When the woman broke free, police said Bowman tried to stab her and they shot him.

The new ordinance to revise the inquest hearing process was passed on Dec. 7, 2010. Changes include the establishment of an ombudsman to represent the victim’s family, the release of key evidence and investigative files, and the restructuring of meetings before the inquest hearing.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. To my fellow bloggers,

    I am wondering how this new inquest panel would have handled the ex-officer Carpenter pursuit case? Why isn't the new inquest panel handling this case? The more I think about it, the more this new inquest panel is resembling a Witch Hunt. I am getting a very uneasy feeling about this whole new process, maybe we should just consider using the Grand Jury and scrap the new inquest panel, at least it has real attorneys running it, instead of law clerks. The issue that we are dealing with is pretty important and we all would sure like to do it right, wouldn't we?

    Just an old cop reflecting,

    Gordon Martines