Las Vegas Sun

November 26, 2014

Currently: 46° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

November police killing inching closer to inquest under new rules

Image

Sam Morris / Las Vegas Sun

A Metro officer stands by patrol cars at the scene of an officer involved shooting outside a Speedee Mart at 3011 East Desert Inn Road Monday, November 15, 2010.

A pre-coroner’s inquest meeting will be held next week, the first under new rules established by Clark County that allow families of someone shot and killed by law enforcement to have an ombudsman present early in the inquest process.

The meeting will be related to the shooting death of Benjamin Hunter Bowman, who died of multiple gunshot wounds Nov. 15 at a PT’s Pub near Nellis Boulevard and Sahara Avenue.

Police said Bowman took a female bartender hostage with a knife during a failed robbery attempt. When the woman broke free, police said Bowman tried to stab her and they shot him.

That same day, Metro officers also killed another man holding a “sharpened cane.” Police shot and killed Anthony Brenes, 32, near a Speedee Mart, 3011 E. Desert Inn Road, after he was said to have swung his cane at them “in a chopping motion.”

Last year, 26 people died at the hands of Metro officers, most of them shot to death. This year through April 19, Metro officers have shot and killed seven people. North Las Vegas police killed one.

All of those deaths still must go through the coroner’s inquest process, which was overhauled by the Clark County Commission earlier this year. After months of waiting for the changes to be codified and the system to be established, the Bowman death will be the first one to proceed.

With the inquest reforms approved in January, families now have a legal representative at inquests, investigative information is disclosed beforehand and jury verdicts are eliminated.

The police union and the county’s own district attorney, David Roger, tried to scuttle the reforms in April, arguing in favor of a bill that would have killed the coroner’s inquest. They argued it would be too expensive, time consuming and would lead to officers refusing to participate. Instead of an inquest, the district attorney would simply review the cases to see if criminal charges were warranted. That bill died in committee.

Reforms came about because of decades of complaints that the inquest was stacked against the families of the deceased.

Two controversial killings in 2010, both ruled justified by an inquest jury, brought the matter to a head. One was the killing of Erik Scott, 38, at a Costco in Summerlin. The other was the killing of Trevon Cole, 21, shot and killed while unarmed in his apartment.

After those deaths, Commissioner Steve Sisolak set up a panel to come up with reforms.

At the May 9 pre-inquest hearing, a “final” pre-inquest will be scheduled over the next 30 days. Then the coroner’s inquest date will be set.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Waste of taxpayer money. they always side with the cops not matter what.