Las Vegas Sun

September 23, 2014

Currently: 80° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Coroner’s inquest into Costco shooting indefinitely postponed

Clark County DA’s office asked for postponement

Updated Tuesday, July 27, 2010 | 5:19 p.m.

Summerlin Costco Shooting

Metro crime scene investigators, officers and detectives mill about the entrance of the Costco store in Summerlin after the shooting July 10, 2010. Launch slideshow »

Erik Scott memorial

A coroner's inquest in the fatal Metro Police shooting of a man at a Summerlin Costco store has been postponed, but a new date has not yet been set, according to the Clark County Coroner's Office.

The original coroner's inquest was scheduled for Sept. 3.

Coroner Mike Murphy said the Clark County District Attorney's office asked for the postponement, so the inquest has been put on hold.

"It's not a question of if it's going to be conducted, but when," Murphy said.

Clark County District Attorney David Roger said his office asked for the postponement because it needed more time for investigation — reading witness statements, identifying witnesses for the inquest and reading other reports. Plus, the original Sept. 3 date posed a problem.

Roger said it likely will take two days for all the evidence to be presented to the inquest jury, and Sept. 3 is the Friday before Labor Day — an infeasible date for a two-day inquest.

Erik Scott, 38, was killed July 10 after authorities say he pointed a gun at an officer, prompting three officers to shoot him.

Authorities said a Costco employee called 911 to report a man acting erratically in the store, damaging merchandise and carrying a pistol in his waistband. An officer approached the man, identified as Scott, then noticed the pistol and gave him verbal commands to lay on the ground, police said.

After Scott pointed the pistol at an officer, the officers fired at him, striking him multiple times, police said. He died at University Medical Center a short time later.

The officers who fired their weapons were placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation, which is standard procedure in officer-involved shootings.

A lawyer representing Scott's family has denied Metro's version of events, arguing that Scott, a West Point graduate with a concealed weapon permit, never pulled out a handgun and pointed it at police.

Police identified the three officers involved in the shooting as Officer William Mosher, 38, who has been with the department since June 2005; Officer Joshua Stark, 28, with the department since September 2008; and Officer Thomas Mendiola, 23, with the department since March 2009.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.