Published Friday, Sept. 5, 2008 | 7:48 p.m.
Updated Friday, Sept. 5, 2008 | 10:15 p.m.
High school football
Scoring updates from high school football games around the valley.
End of first quarter:
- Foothill and Cimarron-Memorial are tied, 0-0, going into the second quarter. It's 1st and goal at the Cimarron 9-yard line. Foothill's Algernon Sewell picked up eight carries for 50 yards.
- Basic and Eldorado both have seven points on the scoreboard.
- Shadow Ridge is trailing Coronado by eight points after Dane Cooper completed a pass to Darren Smith for a touchdown. The score going into the second is 8-0, Coronado.
- Del Sol and Chaparral are tied at zero.
- Silverado has a three-touchdown lead over Mojave. At the end of the first quarter, the score is 21-0.
- Liberty is leading Valley 14-6 after junior Shawn Murray ran the kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown. Senior Carlos Tautoto added to the score with a 45-yard touchdown run.
- Spring Creek is leading Faith Lutheran 14-3 at the end of the first quarter.
- Coronado is leading Shadow Ridge 16-0 after Dane Cooper had a 3-yard touchdown pass to Cory Argubright.
- Del Sol is leading Chaparral by two touchdowns, with a score of 14-0 at the half.
- Liberty is up 20-13 over Valley after a 36-yard touchdown run around the right side by Shawn Murray -- who also caught an interception at the Liberty 6-yard line.
- Basic has a one-point lead over Eldorado, with a score of 14-13 at the half.
- Foothill is leading Cimarron-Memorial 21-6. Foothill's Algernon Sewell has 15 carries for 93 yards and two touchdowns. Foothill's Aaron Dupin went 6 of 9 for 78 yards and a touchdown. Stephen Nixon had six carries for 75 yards and a touchdown for Cimarron.
- Silverado is trouncing Mojave with a score of 35-0 going into the third quarter.
- Faith Lutheran put up 21 unanswered points against Spring Creek. The score is 24-14, Faith Lutheran.
- Centennial is leading Green Valley with a score of 10-0.
End of third quarter:
- At the end of the third quarter, Del Sol has 21 points and Chaparral still has a goose egg.
- Basic is up 28 points to Eldorado's 13.
- Foothill and Cimarron-Memorial are still locked at 21-6, with Foothill leading.
- Spring Creek is creeping back, now only a touchdown behind Faith Lutheran. The score at the end of the third quarter is 24-21, Faith Lutheran.
- Shadow Ridge managed to score a touchdown, but is still trailing Coronado by a large margin. At the end of the third, the score is 30-7, Coronado. Dane Cooper threw to Marcus Garcia, who brought it in for a touchdown.
- Mojave has made it onto the scoreboard, with 6 points to Silverado’s 42 going into the final quarter.
- After the third quarter, Valley leads Liberty, 41-26. Track star Garic Wharton started the second half with an 83-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. Senior running back Malcolm Wilks finished with a 52-yard touchdown run.
- Green Valley is now within a field goal of Centennial. Going into the fourth, the score is 10-7, Centennial.
- Del Sol has soundly defeated Chaparral with a score of 28-0.
- Foothill has defeated Cimarron-Memorial with a score of 28-6. Algernon Sewell had 26 carries for 147 yards and two touchdowns for the Falcons.
- Nick McDearmon threw a pass to Jordan Karl to give Shadow Ridge a touchdown. The Mustangs couldn't make a comeback, however, and lost to Coronado, 30-14.
- Silverado has defeated Mojave with a final score of 49-6.
- Basic's Anthony Lessier scored a pair of touchdowns and the Wolves pitched a second-half shutout to defeat Eldorado, 28-13.
- Valley defeats Liberty 48-38. Kerwynn Williams scored 5 touchdowns -- the fifth was an 86-yard kickoff return for a touchdown that made it 48-32 with six minutes left.
- After a back-and-forth game, Legacy pulled ahead in the third with an 8-yard touchdown run by Prince Oroke, who had 16 carries for 156 yards, and Bonanza wasn't able to make a comeback. The team leader was Deshae Edwards, who scored the final touchdown for the Longhorns at the end of the fourth quarter, sealing the win. Edwards had 30 carries for 168 yards.
- Faith Lutheran quarterback Joe Portaro, a sophomore making his first varsity start, led the Crusaders with three touchdowns. Portaro went 18 for 25 with 176 yards, threw two touchdowns and had one interception. He also had one touchdown running. The Crusaders were down 14-0 but came back, outscoring the Spartans and holding on to that lead for the rest of the game, winning, 31-21.
- Centennial defeated Green Valley, 24-20, in a hard-fought game. Centennial sophomore Brandon Wright led the Bulldogs in rushing and had two touchdowns. Play was stopped for about 30 minutes when Green Valley senior running back LaQuan Phillips was seriously injured during the second quarter. Phillips was transported to a local hospital with a possible neck injury.