Published Thursday, July 10, 2008 | 4:38 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2008 | 10:15 a.m.
A fire today in the garage of the Los Prados Country Club destroyed 21 electric golf carts and damaged walls and the roof of the building at 5150 Los Prados Circle near Lone Mountain Road and Jones Boulevard.
Damages are estimated at $350,000.
Las Vegas Fire Dept. firefighters arrived about 9:11 a.m. People smelled smoke but thought it was due to haze from the California wildfires, said Tim Szymanski, fire department spokesman.
Firefighters discovered heavy smoke and flames coming out of a vent. The fire may have started from an electrical source such as a battery charger in the corner of the garage where one golf cart was parked, Szymanski said.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental, Szymanski said.
In addition to the golf cart garage, the building contains a retail golf pro shop which had smoke odor in it, but is separated by a wall, Szymanski said.
No one was in the building at the time and there were no injuries to firefighters, Szymanski said.