Las Vegas Sun

December 17, 2014

Currently: 51° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Child playing with lighter burns home, sends grandma to hospital

A young child playing with a lighter ignited a small sofa in a home in the northwest Las Vegas Valley today, sending a grandmother to a local hospital, Las Vegas Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski said today.

Firefighters responded to the two-alarm fire about 11:45 a.m. Two adults and three children were in the home at 7517 Wandering St., near Farm Road and Tule Springs when firefighters arrived, Szymanski said.

The grandmother was taken to University Medical Center's emergency room with possible burns. A pet also died in the fire that damaged the first floor and sent smoke into the second floor of the home, Szymanski said.

Estimated damage from this fire is $75,000, Szymanski said.

Over July 4th the Las Vegas Fire Department responded to 25 building fires, many of them caused by fireworks, Szymanski said. Here is a sampling:

At 8:54 p.m. Friday firefighters doused pine needles on the roof of a commercial business complex on Decatur Boulevard. Fireworks are suspected in that blaze, Szymanski said.

Fireworks were also blamed in the start of a fire at the VFW Building at 1905 H St. Damages to a store room and the exterior of the building are estimated at $5,000, Szymanski said.

There was also one fire after midnight that caused $25,000 in damages to a home that is believed to have started from fireworks, Szymanski said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy