Las Vegas Sun

April 17, 2014

Currently: 73° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Woman dies in Reno apartment fire

RENO — Investigators say a fire at a Reno apartment that killed 78-year-old woman may have been sparked by a cigarette.

The Reno Gazette-Journal reports neighbors were trying to put out the fire with extinguishers when firefighters arrived at the scene around 5:30 a.m. Sunday.

Battalion Chief Rik Kajans says the woman was flown to the burn center at UC Davis Medical Center where she died.

He adds that the apartment complex manager was taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy