Las Vegas Sun

August 23, 2014

Currently: 83° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Woman displaced after cooking fire in apartment

Fire

A woman’s home was destroyed after a cooking fire erupted inside her kitchen this evening.

The woman told fire officials that she had fallen asleep while cooking when heavy flames broke out about 6 p.m. in the Desert Garden Townhomes, 1720 W. Bonanza Road.

Firefighters quickly put out the blaze after they arrived, said Tim Szymanski, spokesman for Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. Damage was estimated at $35,000.

The American Red Cross is helping the displaced woman. She was not hurt.

Szymanski said cooking mishaps are the most common cause of fires in the country.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy