Las Vegas Sun

October 21, 2014

Currently: 73° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Cigarettes blamed in fires at Cosmopolitan, apartment

A cigarette sparked a fire this afternoon inside a hotel room at the Cosmopolitan, fire officials said.

The blaze erupted inside a trash can at 1:12 p.m. at the Las Vegas Strip resort, the Clark County Fire Department said in a prepared statement.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 worth of damage.

Crews had been summoned to an apartment building in the 1900 block of East Tropicana Avenue, near Spencer Street, about an hour earlier for another fire sparked by a cigarette.

That blaze started on an apartment balcony and caused about $70,000 in damage.

No one was hurt in either fire.

Officials urged smokers to properly discard cigarettes because they burn at temperatures hot enough to ignite combustibles such as paper, cloth and wood.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy