Las Vegas Sun

November 28, 2014

Currently: 65° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Men arrested in death of teen during iPad robbery held without bail

Image

Steve Marcus

Michael Solid, left, 21, and Jacob Dismont, 18, stand with defense attorneys in Las Vegas Justice Court at the Regional Justice Center Thursday, May 23, 2013. Solid and Dismont are accused of killing 15-year-old Marcos Arenas while stealing his iPad. Attorneys are David Schieck, left, and Jeff Banks.

IPad Robbery Suspects in Court

Michael Solid, 21, waits for a hearing in Las Vegas Justice Court at the Regional Justice Center Thursday, May 23, 2013. Solid and Jacob Dismont, 18, are accused of killing 15-year-old Marcos Arenas while stealing his iPad, Launch slideshow »

Two men accused of driving over and killing 15-year-old Marcos Vincente Arenas while stealing his iPad last week will remain in jail at least until their preliminary hearing.

Michael Solid, 21, and Jacob Dismont, 18, appeared Thursday morning in Las Vegas Justice Court wearing standard blue jail attire and shackles on their wrists and ankles.

Across the courtroom, Arenas’ friends and family, some wearing white T-shirts in his memory, filled nearly three rows of public seating.

Justice of the Peace Diana Sullivan set the suspects’ preliminary hearing for June 7 and ordered them held without bail.

Solid and Dismont face charges of conspiracy to commit robbery, robbery and murder with the use of a deadly weapon, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday.

The incident happened the afternoon of May 16 near Charleston Boulevard and Scholl Drive. Metro Police said Solid and Dismont followed Arenas, who was walking and carrying his iPad, a recent birthday gift.

Dismont struggled with Arenas while stealing the iPad and then got into a passenger seat of a sport-utility vehicle driven by Solid, according to the Metro arrest report. As the vehicle pulled away, the back tire ran over Arenas, who later died from his injuries at University Medical Center, police said.

During today’s seven-minute hearing, Arenas’ family and friends cried softly as Chief Deputy District Attorney Robert Daskas urged Sullivan to deny bail, while calling Solid and Dismont “lions on the Serengeti waiting to pounce, to ambush the smallest member of a pack.”

Daskas cited surveillance video from a nearby convenience store that shows Solid and Dismont talking minutes before the incident as evidence of their intent.

“They had a plan, an orchestrated, preconceived plan to rob this 15-year-old,” he said. Arenas was a freshman at Bonanza High School.

Special Public Defender David Schieck, who is representing Solid, disagreed with Daskas’ characterization of the incident and said evidence that will come out during the case will show otherwise. Schieck said he plans to file a written motion to seek bail at a later time.

Dismont’s defense attorney, Deputy Public Defender Jeff Banks, asked the judge to consider setting bail at $100,000, noting that his client has strong family support. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Dismont was a standout baseball player at Sierra Vista and Durango high schools.

Sullivan said she would reconsider the bail issue either after the preliminary hearing or if defense attorneys file written motions.

Arenas’ family declined to comment after the hearing.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 4 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. If only the kid would have given up the Ipad, he still would be here...

  2. If it wasn't Arenas, it would have been a middle-schooler. The Terrible's gas station where they were recorded is a short walk away from Garside Middle School, where 1200 kids got school-issued iPads. They were hanging around the gas station at about 4, or when kids from Garside would be walking past. This wasn't just a conspiracy to rob Arenas, it was a plan to steal ipads from 12-14 year olds kids.

  3. The Judge made the right call. No Bail! The kid didn't give up his ipad. And he shouldn't have to. If he had he may have not been killed. Then again, they may have killed him anyway. These to guys need prison whether they killed him on purpose or by accident. Basically, their intention was to get the ipad from the kid and if he got killed, so be it. As far as being a baseball star for school, that doesn't matter because is is not a good citizen.

  4. Those blue jumpers and in chains is at least what the rest of their live are going to be, over an iPad. It's like their frontal lobes were disconnected.