Las Vegas Sun

April 18, 2014

Currently: 74° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

DA to seek death penalty against suspect in Strip shooting, crash

Image

Steve Marcus

Ammar Harris, the suspect the Feb. 21 Las Vegas Strip shooting and car crash that killed three people, is escorted into the courtroom at the Regional Justice Center Wednesday, April 17, 2013.

Strip Shooting Suspect Makes Court Appearance

Ammar Harris, the suspect the Feb. 21 Las Vegas Strip shooting and car crash that killed three people, appears in court at the Regional Justice Center Wednesday, April  17, 2013. Launch slideshow »

Strip shooting crash

Smoke and flames billow from a burning vehicle following a shooting and multicar accident on the Las Vegas Strip early Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013. Launch slideshow »

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Ammar Harris, the suspect in a February shooting on the Las Vegas Strip that killed one person and caused a car crash that killed two others.

A special panel in the Clark County District Attorney’s Office reviewed the case, weighing aggravating factors, whether a jury would be inclined to impose the death penalty and whether a conviction is likely to stand up to appeal.

District Attorney Steve Wolfson filed the notice of intent to seek the death penalty after the committee made its recommendation.

Wolfson had announced that he was likely to seek the death penalty shortly after Harris, 27, was arrested in Studio City, Calif., following a weeklong, multi-state manhunt.

Harris is accused of shooting into a Maserati driven by Kenneth Cherry Jr. early Feb. 21 while driving on the Las Vegas Strip in a Range Rover.

Cherry and a passenger, Freddy Walters, were struck by the gunfire, Metro Police said. Cherry’s wounds caused him to lose control of the car, which ran a red light at Flamingo Road and crashed into a taxi. The impact caused the cab to explode.

Three people were killed and are listed as victims in connection with the three first-degree murder counts Harris faces: Cherry; the cab driver, Michael Boldon, 62, of Las Vegas; and cab passenger Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, 48, a businesswoman from Maple Valley, Wash.

Walters survived and is the victim named in the indictment in connection with an attempted murder count.

Tehran Boldon, the younger brother of Michael Boldon, said “bravo,” when he heard the news that the district attorney would seek the death penalty.

Harris has “shown no remorse, and he needs to be made example of. Hopefully it will send a message to people like him that think it’s a game,” he said. “I would hate to think that he could outlive me when I don’t think he should be living at all.”

Harris previously was arrested in 2010 in Las Vegas on charges of pandering, kidnapping, sexual assault and coercion.

The charges later were dropped, but a witness re-emerged after Harris’ arrest this year, and Harris was indicted in April on three counts of sexual assault and one count of robbery related to the 2010 arrest.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 6 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Chances are many of will be in our grave long before he is.

    Once he is convicted they will play games for 25 to 30 years if they ever put him down.

    What is even worse is this fool did not even shoot at the right care. :(

  2. Was he driving while he was shooting? If he wasn't driving - and his girlfriend was driving - why does the DA charge drivers when there is a "drive by shooting" as accessories but isn't charging this woman?

  3. We need to take all his assets, and auction them to the highest bidder. What's the over/under? 50 bucks? Wish this was a federal crime so he could go to Supermax. Oh well, I guess Nevada prisons aren't a piece of cake, like Massachusetts and Baltimore.

  4. There must be a reasonable way to lock up this dude forever and ever without taxpayers paying contract public defenders a couple million bucks, court costs, juror costs, prosecutor costs. We're kind of stuck with incarceration costs right up until some prison-yard justice takes care of him.

  5. What ever it takes, it will be worth it to get this guy off the streets - for good.

  6. He's off the streets