Las Vegas Sun

April 21, 2014

Currently: 75° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Dynasty hotel-casino could open in Las Vegas by 2015

Image

An artist’s rendering of the proposed Dynasty Hotel & Casino.

Clark County commissioners have green-lighted plans for a new 26-story hotel-casino on Flamingo Road.

Currently home of the Fortune Hotel & Suites just west of Paradise Road, the plot of land between the Tuscany and the recently fire-damaged Key Largo could be transformed into The Dynasty Hotel & Casino as soon as 2015.

While the property has never offered gaming in the past, the county’s approval entered Las Vegas Lucky Investments LLC into to the state-approved Gaming Enterprise District, allowing it to apply for a gaming license and open a 100,000-square-foot casino.

Las Vegas Lucky Investments bought the property in March 2012 for more than $11 million, according to Clark County records.

But Shuiyan Cheng, the company’s owner, declined an interview for this story, saying it’s too early to comment.

Greg Borgel, a planning consultant from Moreno & Associates working on the project, said the resort will bring 2,000 construction jobs and 1,400 permanent jobs to the area.

That contribution was a selling point for Commissioner Mary Beth Scow.

“I think this is an exciting project,” Scow said. “I think that it’s a boom to this area and an improvement to the economy.”

And plans for the resort might grow before construction starts.

Las Vegas Lucky Investments originally applied to build a 30-story, 794-room resort. But given the property’s height and proximity to McCarran International Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration denied the application and limited the tower to 26 stories.

The company plans to appeal for a taller building to build more rooms but, Borgel said, there are other options if that fails.

“We can build another tower at the approved height and make up for those lost rooms,” he said.

Regarding the name, Borgel said, Dynasty does not reflect a Chinese resort theme similar to Resorts World Las Vegas. It reflects the company’s Chinese ownership.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Please correct me if I am missing the obvious and do not know Nevada law-but this is not on a property that is licensed for gaming. With the Key Largo site down the street (as well as the Moulin Rouge in Las Vegas and the Showboat out on Boulder) it appears they are attempting to buy real estate on the cheap and then get gaming approval through the back door. Expect lawsuits lasting for 10 years on this issue.