Las Vegas Sun

September 21, 2014

Currently: 78° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Food left on stove sparks apartment blaze, which forces family to relocate

Apartment complex fire

An apartment complex fire caused about $5,000 in damages and forced a family to relocate after food accidentally left on an electric stovetop started the blaze Monday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to calls of an apartment complex on fire at 12:56 p.m. Monday at an apartment building in the 4800 block of Spencer Street, near Tropicana Avenue. The fire, which is considered accidental, spread to walls and the ceiling of the apartment after cooking supplies caught fire on a stove in the kitchen, Deputy Fire Chief Jon Klassen said.

No one was injured in the incident, he said.

Fire crews contained the blaze in five minutes. The family involved was moved to another apartment in the complex.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy