Las Vegas Sun

August 30, 2014

Currently: 100° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

LV firefighters able to contain northwest valley fire to one apartment

One adult and two children are displaced from their apartment Friday after a child playing with a lighter accidentally lit a bedroom mattress on fire, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski.

Firefighters arrived at the Willows at Town Center Apartments near North Fort Apache Road and Deer Springs Way about 9:05 p.m. Flames burst out of the second-story stucco and wood frame apartment accompanied by thick black smoke, Szymanski said.

The occupants had already evacuated without injury, Szymanski said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly and contained the flames to one apartment. The fire caused about $50,000 in damage.

Fire investigators ruled the fire accidental.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy