Monday, Sept. 17, 2012 | 9:17 a.m.
The man suspected of driving drunk when his car slammed into a bus stop Thursday, killing four, appeared before a judge for the first time Monday morning.
Gary Lee Hosey Jr., 23 — shackled and with his left arm in a sling — kept his head down as he entered the courtroom in Las Vegas Justice Court. He briefly spoke with his defense attorney, Caitlyn McAmis, and wiped his eyes several times before the hearing began.
Judge Conrad Hafen ordered Hosey held in the Clark County Detention Center without bail until his next hearing, set for Friday morning. Formal criminal charges will be read at that time.
Several of Hosey's family members attended the 90-second hearing. Outside the courtroom, the suspect's mother, Lechtrianna Hosey, said their "hearts go out" to the victims' families but declined to offer further comments.
Metro Police arrested Hosey in connection with four counts of felony driving under the influence causing death. Authorities booked him into jail Friday afternoon upon his release from Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center.
Police said Hosey was driving a Chevrolet Monte Carlo at 6:25 a.m. Thursday when he apparently lost control and struck the bus stop. The Clark County Coroner's Office has identified the four pedestrians killed as Gerber Ayala-Tomasino Jr., 24; Johnni Garner, 49; Margoth Gonzalez, 65; and Hyon Cooley, 47.
Three other pedestrians and Hosey's four passengers also were injured in the crash.
- Man’s role as breadwinner comes to tragic end in bus-stop crash (9-15-2012)
- Last two of bus stop crash’s four deceased victims identified (9-14-2012)
- Metro says driver in bus stop fatal is being transferred to jail (9-14-2012)
- Day after deadly crash, bus riders wonder about missing passengers (9-14-2012)
- Police ID driver in bus-stop crash that killed 4 (9-13-2012)
- After agonizing wait at bus stop crash site, daughter learns of mom’s death (9-13-2012)
- Riders worry for their safety at Las Vegas bus stops (9-13-2012)
- A sad litany of accidents at bus stops (9-13-2012)