Las Vegas Sun

April 18, 2014

Currently: 79° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Apartment fire displaces 14 residents

Image

Courtesy of Las Vegas Fire and Rescue

Firefighters work at the scene of a blaze at Alpine Village Apartments on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2012.

Updated Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 | 2:13 p.m.

Apartment fire

An electrical fire displaced 14 people from their apartments at Alpine Village Apartments near Decatur and Charleston boulevards on Saturday morning.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said firefighters received reports of a two-alarm fire at 901 Brush St., Building Two, around 8:20 a.m. The fire began in the attic because of an air-conditioning wiring issue.

Firefighters needed 30 minutes to douse the flames. Szymanski said the fire was contained to the attic, but the force of the water caved the building’s roof in. A firefighter suffered a minor injury while fighting the fire and was taken to a hospital.

The fire caused $150,000 in damage to the apartments. No apartment occupants were injured.

Szymanski said Alpine Village Apartments is working to move the displaced occupants to other apartments in the complex.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy