Las Vegas Sun

September 2, 2014

Currently: 98° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

$3 million earmarked for study of I-15 improvement project

The state Transportation Board on Tuesday approved spending up to $3 million to hire consultants to find the best way to finance and build the Interstate 15 improvement project that extends 3.7 miles between the Spaghetti Bowl and Sahara Avenue.

Current plans call for construction on the $1.8 billion plan dubbed Project Neon to start in 2015 and be completed in 2017, said Transportation Director Rudy Malfabon.

It's another step forward in building the project.

Gov. Brian Sandoval, the chairman of the board, said spending the $3 million could save the state "tens of millions of dollars" in construction costs.

The department will solicit bids from legal and financial experts to examine the construction alternatives.

The board wants to know such things as the benefits to awarding a single contractor to design, finance and build the project or if the state should go the traditional way in issuing bonds and accepting bids for the construction segment only.

The project is anticipated to generate 4,100 jobs and spur the Las Vegas economy, which was hit hard by the recession.

Deputy Transportation Director Bill Hoffman said this is one of the department's highest priorities. He said the crash rate on I-15 from Desert Inn Road to U.S. 95 is double the rest of the state. And an average 270,000 cars travel daily on I-15 north of Sahara Avenue.

If the department chose a single contractor to design, finance and build the improvements, the state would not have to start repayments until completion of the work in 2017. And during that time, money could be used for other projects in the state, said the transportation officials.

Hoffman said the project would improve access to Charleston Boulevard. And work is scheduled on Martin Luther King Boulevard to be paid for by the city, officials told the board.

The department has said it will need 48 parcels for right of way in phase one of the project. It has acquired 19, has started condemnation on eight and is in negotiations with the owners of the remaining parcels.

Estimated cost is $104 million to $161 million for these rights of way and utilities.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 1 comment so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. Do the taxpayers not already pay zillions of pencil-pushing unelected drones to do just such jobs? If they are so incompetent that they cannot figure out the best and least expensive ways to do things, why are we paying them? Put them all out on the street and use the money saved by firing them to hire outside consultants. But, wait, this is government we are talking about here, isn't it? So, fiscal sanity will never reign so long as there are contracts to let and cronies to give them to.