Las Vegas Sun

July 31, 2014

Currently: 100° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Apartment fire blamed on plumbers working on water heater

Click to enlarge photo

A fire burned an apartment complex at 7100 Pirates Cove Road Friday morning, causing $50,000 in damage. The fire was started by two plumbers who were using a torch to work on a hot water heater, according to the Las Vegas fire department.

Plumbers working with a torch on a hot water heater accidentally started a fire at a Las Vegas apartment Friday that caused about $50,000 damage, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue officials said.

Nobody was injured in the fire, which was reported at 11:09 a.m. at the Pavillions, 7100 Pirates Cove Road, near Summerlin Parkway and Buffalo Drive, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said in a statement.

The fire, which was brought under control shortly after firefighters arrived, started in a closet on the patio of a ground-floor apartment, where two plumbers were using a torch to work on the water heater, Szymanski said.

The fire and smoke extended up the chimney chase, causing damage to the patio and bedroom of the apartment above, he said.

The fire displaced two people, Szymanski said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy