Las Vegas Sun

September 15, 2014

Currently: 94° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Old Lady Luck slated to reopen next year as Downtown Grand

Image

Steve Marcus

A view of the Lady Luck hotel-casino in downtown Las Vegas Monday, Aug. 17, 2009.

Lady Luck Casino

A view of the shuttered Lady Luck casino from the City Hall parking garage in downtown Las Vegas September 21, 2010. The Lady Luck, closed since 2006, is owned by the Los Angeles based CIM Group. STEVE MARCUS / LAS VEGAS SUN Launch slideshow »

CARSON CITY — The 650-room Lady Luck hotel-casino in downtown Las Vegas is completely gutted now but with renovations, it should be ready to open in April 2013. It will be renamed the Downtown Grand.

The Nevada Gaming Control Board has recommended approval for Seth Matthew Schorr and partner Jeffrey A. Fine to lease the hotel with 650 slot machines, 32 table games and a race and sports book.

Schorr said the renovation will cost “north of $100 million.” The work will retain the bridge between the property’s two towers, but it will be encased in glass and provide a view of the Mob Museum.

In the meantime, the partners gained approval from the board for 16 slot machines at the “Mob Bar” in downtown Las Vegas.

It has the décor of a gangster bar in the 1920s. Schorr said it’s the type of a speakeasy that a mobster might have frequented.

The board conditioned the license on the partners submitting financial documents 180 days before the Downtown Grand opens.

The state Gaming Commission meets Feb. 23 to take final action on the application.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 4 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. This will be a good addition and more jobs for downtown.

    Hopefully they follow through with no delays this time around.

  2. If they want to re-open in 14 months I would suggest they do one thing- START WORKING! This plan was approved a long time ago, with hardly any action being taken on the developers' part. I also don't see them re-doing the entire hotel, casino and adding the pool deck for the $100 mil they talk about.

  3. I hope the city adds some street scaping from Fremont Street to the Mob Museum, otherwise few will venture the several blocks into a dimly lit and unknown area. A Circulating Trolley Bus from LVBLVD to the Outlet Center, Neon Museum, Children's and Mob Museum and the exhibition hall would be a nice addition. Make it part of the Deuce.

  4. It will be open just in time as those nice folks at Zappos will need a place to eat for lunchtime.