Las Vegas Sun

October 21, 2014

Currently: 85° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Do No Harm:

MRSA affects whole family

Couple describe their anguish after hospital staff withheld diagnosis of a serious infection contracted after a heart attack

Image

Leila Navidi

Healthcare consumers Pam and David Spendlove speak during a panel discussion named ” The Many Sides of MRSA” during a MRSA Conference sponsored by the Nevada State Health Division at the Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel Tuesday, November 16, 2010. David became infected with MRSA after heart surgery at Valley Hospital this year.

MSRA Conference

Healthcare consumers Pam and David Spendlove speak during a panel discussion named Launch slideshow »

Sunday Discussion: Hospital Infections

After a Sun investigation found lethal "superbugs" are infecting thousands of patients in local hospitals, four people with distinct perspectives on these hospital-acquired infections gathered to discuss the dangers posed by the bacteria and obstacles to fighting their spread.

Just months after David Spendlove contracted a deadly bacteria in a hospital, he and his wife found themselves this week telling their story to a captivated audience of 200 nurses and administrators from hospitals and nursing homes.

The couple’s message: Don’t deceive your patients if something has gone wrong. Don’t minimize what’s happening. Don’t lie.

That’s what hospital employees did to them, David and Pamela Spendlove said.

David Spendlove almost died from the lethal “superbug” MRSA, and hospital employees had refused to tell the couple the truth about the infection.

He has mostly recovered, and wanted to tell his story — not to attack the hospital, but so health care professionals can learn the importance of being honest with patients.

The couple were asked to speak by the Nevada State Health Division, which licenses health care facilities and organized the seminar. It was prompted by a Las Vegas Sun investigation of hospital-acquired cases of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, which often manifests itself as surgical site or bloodstream infections or pneumonia.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate about 19,000 people a year die from MRSA, which thrives in health care facilities and exists in its community-acquired form in schools and gymnasiums. The health division invited representatives from every hospital, long-term care facility and school district in the state to discuss a communitywide approach to the crisis. But more than just a meeting among professionals, this gathering included patients who had been infected with the bacteria.

That’s where the Spendloves come in.

On June 17, David had a heart attack and was taken to Valley Hospital Medical Center. Doctors and nurses saved his life, but he contracted MRSA and the infection went to his lungs, causing pneumonia. The infection still fatigues him, but he hopes to return to work in about a month. The family struggles to get by on food stamps, donations from friends and family and about $100 a week in disability payments.

Valley Hospital officials did not return a request for comment for this story.

According to the Spendloves, hospital employees identified the infection and then put David in isolation. His visitors were told to wear gowns and gloves — even if doctors, nurses and food servers didn’t always do the same, the Spendloves said.

All the while, Valley Hospital nurses and doctors refused to tell them his ailment, the couple said, despite repeated questioning.

“It’s just a skin virus or a lung virus,” David recalled one person saying.

“It’s nothing to worry about,” someone else told him.

“They would not give a straight answer,” David told the audience, his voice weak from illness.

Finally, when pressured by a family member, a nurse reluctantly told them he was infected with MRSA.

“It was almost like she was instructed not to tell us,” David said. “We felt it was a secret they were keeping from us.”

Pamela said she overheard a doctor outside the hospital remark that MRSA “is no big deal.”

“Well, maybe MRSA is no big deal if you’re not the one living with the consequences,” she said.

The audience was hushed as the Spendloves told their story. The topic is sensitive because MRSA infections are preventable, and a Sun investigation found that Las Vegas hospitals are not doing everything possible to prevent them.

Among the speakers was an infection-control coordinator from the Veterans Affairs, which has taken an aggressive approach to eliminating hospital-acquired MRSA infections. The VA uses a $40 test that provides results within 90 minutes to screen every patient at admission, so those who are colonized or infected with MRSA can be immediately isolated. They also test patients when they are transferred from one unit to another, and when they’re discharged, so the VA will know if they contracted an infection during their stay.

The VA has drastically reduced its MRSA cases using this method, which is not employed by any Las Vegas hospital.

State Health Officer Dr. Tracey Green, who helped organize the conference, said its goal was to improve communication and develop broad-based solutions to the MRSA problem.

“Clearly, we have to do better,” Green said. “This is critically important. It affects everybody. The only way to improve is to have everyone working on it.”

Among the day’s topics: How to compel health care facilities to take the problem more seriously. About 20 consumer advocates discussed how to organize themselves, and received on-the-spot tutoring from a representative of the national nonprofit organization Consumers Union, which has made patient safety a goal.

Steve Winters, a retired Reno businessman whose mother died of hospital-acquired MRSA and other conditions she picked up in a Northern Nevada hospital, said the health care facilities are resistant to change, but public opinion and the truth are on the side of consumers.

State Sen. Shirley Breeden, D-Henderson, closed the meeting by promising to sponsor legislation in the 2011 session to require health care-associated infections to be reported by facility in Nevada and to require health care facilities to post their infection rates in a public place, so patients can be aware of the risks of entering the facilities.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: 6 comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

  1. The hospital environment can be disinfected to prevent patients from becoming infected in the first place. Existing products used today have bleach and Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Quats)as ingredients. They are harmful to humans and are ineffective for a terminal clean. Fogging and UV Lighting are insufficient as well. Fogging is prohibited by the EPA and UV Lighting has a 4-log kill (99.99%) and doesn't provide comprehensive disinfection due to shadows. Bio-Intervention Specialists provides the first environmentally friendly, EPA registered disinfectant service for hospitals and other medical facilities that has a unique kill mechanism that results in a 6-log kill (99.9999%). It's not harmful to humans or the environment and finally provides hope for getting a leg up on these super bugs.

  2. A great series of reporting.
    Keep up the pressure with this kind or reporting.
    You are performig a real service to the people of Las Vegas.

  3. Last year my husband had a neck fusion at Valley Hospital. He was sent home, and was returned by ambulance approx 5 days later in a coma. He was finally "diagnosed" with spinal menigitis. Although the hospital would never "call it by name" or not admit fault, he was never anyware but at the hospital, our car, and our home. He spent two weeks at Valley, primarily in a coma, when "well enough" went to tow different care facilities. All in all, he spent 3 months in hospitals thanks to Valley Hospital care.

  4. I thought this professional "libertarian" that haunts this site was going to come up with some data showing how all the private sector for profit hospitals are A OK. Where is he hiding.??

    Does he want the government to stop doing health checks on restaurants??

  5. mred: I had the same problem with him. He had the audacity to privately send me a message to continue his argument. I asked him for specific links to prove what he was saying...never heard back from him.

  6. A friend of mine had her baby at the NICU at Sunrise Hospital. She was told that her baby had MERSA. The child was transferred to part of the NICU as in quarantine. The child was in the hospital for 103 days. The baby is out now and a nurse not affiliated with Sunrise read his entire file and noted that the child never had MERSA. Was this child used to get money out of the government and insurance companies? That is a story this paper should do. It's called fraud.