Tuesday, May 11, 2010 | 4:19 p.m.
The Clark County School District is searching for a replacement for Superintendent Walt Rulffes, who announced his retirement in March, and has scheduled a series of town hall meetings to get public input from parents on what to look for in candidates.
The meetings will be held at various places throughout Clark County. Those who can’t attend the meetings can fill out an online survey.
“It is critically important to hear the desired characteristics of a new superintendent from our parents, guardians and those dedicated to education in Clark County,” President Terri Janison said in a statement. “This person must be the right fit for our students as he or she will navigate the future of our children.”
The following town hall meetings are scheduled:
• Cimarron-Memorial High School cafeteria, 2301 North Tenaya Way in Las Vegas at 5 p.m. May 17.
• Moapa Town Library, 1340 East State Highway in Moapa at 5 p.m. May 20.
• Virgin Valley High School Cafeteria, 820 Valley View Drive in Mesquite at 7 p.m. May 20.
• West Preparatory Institute Cafeteria, 2050 Sapphire Stone Ave. in Las Vegas at 10 a.m. May 22.
• Garrett Junior High Cafeteria, 1200 Avenue G in Boulder City at 5:30 p.m. May 24.
• Del Sol High School Theater, 3100 East Patrick Lane in Las Vegas at 9 a.m. May 25.
• Sierra Vista High School Room 404, 8100 West Robindale Road in Las Vegas at 7 p.m. May 26.
A Spanish translator will be available at each town hall meeting and the online survey is available in both English and Spanish. Those attending the meeting at Del Sol High School are required to check in at the main office beforehand.