Las Vegas Sun

October 22, 2014

Currently: 63° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Woman files suit over 2008 fire at Monte Carlo

Related document

Monte Carlo Fire

The charred upper floors of the Monte Carlo show where a fire broke out Friday, Jan. 25, 2008. Launch slideshow »

Monte Carlo Burns

Smoke engulfs the Las Vegas skyline as the Monte Carlo burned for about an hour Friday, Jan. 25, 2008. Las Vegas and Clark County firefighters were able to contain the three-alarm fire that touched off on the top floors of the 32-story resort. At least seven people were injured in the nearly full 3,002-room hotel — the 13th largest in Las Vegas.

A Florida woman who was staying at the Monte Carlo when a fire broke out in January 2008 is suing the resort for damages, according to a lawsuit filed in Clark County District Court earlier this week.

Jean Bartoli claims the actions of the Monte Carlo on the day of the fire caused her serious and permanent injuries. She is suing the resort for damages in excess of $30,000.

Bartoli claims in the lawsuit that the Monte Carlo failed to "plan, design, control, supervise, repair, clean and maintain" the resort, resulting in the fire. The lawsuit alleges that the resort took little or no measures to control the fire and warn guests of it.

Once the fire was discovered, guests, including Bartoli, were taken to an area away from the resort and told to remain there until further notice, the lawsuit says. The lawsuit claims that Bartoli and others were subjected to smoke, fumes and other toxins from the fire.

Bartoli's lawyers did not return a call Thursday afternoon for more details about the claims made in the lawsuit.

MGM Mirage spokeswoman Yvette Monet said, "We have not yet been served with the lawsuit, and so we are unable to comment on it."

Fire Department and OSHA reports concluded that sparks from welding on the roof caused the Jan. 25, 2008, fire on the facade and upper floors of the hotel. A lawyer for the company involved in the work disputed those reports. The fire did an estimated $80 million damage.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.