Las Vegas Sun

October 25, 2014

Currently: 64° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Warrant issued for man charged in pedestrian death on Las Vegas Blvd.

Click to enlarge photo

Angelo Hurst

Stopping Traffic

Police officers stop traffic while dozens of friends and family members of Verlaine Powless cross Las Vegas Boulevard South at the intersection of Wigwam Avenue on Saturday. The group is seeking action from county officials regarding conditions of the crosswalk.

Intersection

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Michigan man charged with vehicular manslaughter in the death of a pedestrian on Las Vegas Boulevard at Wigwam Avenue — an accident that led to outcries for safety improvements at the intersection.

The Las Vegas Township Justice Court issued a bench warrant for 39-year-old Angelo Hurst after Hurst failed to appear at his arraignment on Jan. 15. He's accused in the death of 19-year-old Verlaine Powless, a pedestrian who was hit by a car on July 25, 2008, at the intersection.

Court records show that Hurst has yet to appear in court for the case and he has not named an attorney to represent him. He has not yet publicly responded to the allegations against him.

Hurst likely will only be arrested on the warrant if he is stopped by police in Nevada, said Clark County District Attorney David Roger.

"Our policy is that we do not extradite on misdemeanors," Roger said. "If he's arrested somewhere in Nevada, we'll go get him. But we don't extradite from out of state."

Chris Torres, 21, who dated Powless, was at Hurst's scheduled arraignment along with Powless's mother, Peggy Tejido.

"It's all very disappointing," Torres said. "Why is he out there in the streets doing whatever he wants after what he did? There's no sense of closure."

Powless was crossing Las Vegas Boulevard at about 9 p.m. when she was struck by a 2007 Chevy Tahoe, which prosecutors say was driven by Hurst.

The intersection had pavement markings, signs and flashing lights, but no stop signs or traffic lights.

Hurst was arrested by Metro Police and charged with vehicular manslaughter, but has been out of custody since July 26 on $10,000 bond. He resides in Detroit, according to police records.

Prosecutors said in their complaint that Hurst failed to pay full attention to driving and was not driving in a careful and prudent manner at the time of the incident.

Powless's death sparked a protest on Aug. 30 where demonstrators demanded the installation of a stop sign or traffic signal at the corner of Las Vegas Boulevard and Wigwam Avenue. The protest blocked traffic at the intersection for a mile in each direction.

Jeff O’Brien can be reached at 990-8957 or [email protected].

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Previous Discussion: comments so far…

Comments are moderated by Las Vegas Sun editors. Our goal is not to limit the discussion, but rather to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and contain no abusive language. Comments that are off-topic, vulgar, profane or include personal attacks will be removed. Full comments policy. Additionally, we now display comments from trusted commenters by default. Those wishing to become a trusted commenter need to verify their identity or sign in with Facebook Connect to tie their Facebook account to their Las Vegas Sun account. For more on this change, read our story about how it works and why we did it.

Only trusted comments are displayed on this page. Untrusted comments have expired from this story.

No trusted comments have been posted.