AP Photo/ABC, Steve Fenn
Published Monday, April 5, 2010 | 9:46 a.m.
Updated Monday, April 5, 2010 | 11:36 a.m.
Monte Carlo made it official today: Master magician Lance Burton, a headliner at the hotel for nearly 14 years, is leaving. His final show is Sept. 4.
After a reference last week by Robin Leach on Vegas DeLuxe to a dispute between an unnamed entertainer and a major resort operator, word of the sudden split between Burton and hotel management began surfacing this weekend. Saturday night, KVBC entertainment reporter Alicia Jacobs sent a series of Twitter updates reporting that hotel management had asked Burton to cut the budget for his traditional illusion show, and Burton responding to that request by saying he'd rather leave.
Read a statement issued by the Monte Carlo public relations office this morning: "It has been an honor and a pleasure to have Lance Burton headline at Monte Carlo for the last 14 years," said Monte Carlo President & COO Anton Nikodemus. "We are proud to have called Lance a member of the MGM MIRAGE family and wish him nothing but the best as he pursues a new chapter in his legendary career."
Burton was quoted in the release as saying: "Performing at Monte Carlo and introducing more than five million people to the world of magic has been a fantastic experience for me," said Burton. "I have loved every minute of this historic run and look forward to turning my attention to new opportunities."
No official reason was given for Burton's departure. The 50-year-old illusionist opened at Monte Carlo in July 1996. In July 2009, he signed an extended six-year contract with the hotel for him to continue performing at the Lance Burton Theatre until 2015.