Thursday, July 18, 2013 | 10:33 p.m.
Editor’s Note: While Robin Leach takes his traditional summer vacation under the Tuscan sun and along The Amalfi Coast in Italy, many of our Strip personalities have stepped forward in his absence to pen their own words of wisdom. We continue today with Shine Alternative Fitness founders Russ Petroni and Dima Shine.
Summer has arrived, and your hibernating routine is now out of style. Summer is the season of relaxing by the pool, lounging in a bikini and having fun with your friends. With the natural Las Vegas mentality of “work hard, play hard,” we should all focus on taking care of our bodies by working out and eating right.
Summer isn’t a time to slack off, with pool days and beach trips filling up your summer calendar. Summer is the perfect time to improve your health and have fun while doing it.
At Shine Alternative Fitness, our goal is to deliver exciting and accessible group fitness classes for guests of all ages and skill levels and to have fun while doing it. This is our warm-weather cheat sheet to having fun, staying cool and getting the best results.
1. Prepare snacks and meals for yourself ahead of time. No matter where we are, we’re often tempted to “grab and go,” especially to get out of the summer heat. Unfortunately, most ready-to-go snacks are calorie packed and nutrient deprived. Save yourself the extra calories and pack some yummy granola bars, fruits or nuts in your purse so that you’re prepared to fight the urge of the drive-thru window that is around the corner.
2. No matter where you go or what you do, bring water. Our bodies can misread being hydrated for being hungry, leading to overconsumption and weight gain. Las Vegas heat quickly dehydrates and leaves us with unhealthy food cravings, headaches and poor body awareness from fatigue. To be more alert and make right food choices, drink more water. Carry a reusable water bottle with you.
3. Try to avoid using elevators and escalators during the day. Climbing stairs is an incredibly effective cardio and lower-body sculpting workout, and you can normally find staircases throughout the city (parking garages and offices). Walk, climb or crawl if you like, but use your legs. We know they work.
4. Think positive and stay focused on improving your physical and mental health. There will be days when a trip to the gym might sound like the worst idea, but the connection between positive thinking and fitness is that if you consciously avoid negative thoughts and focus on the brighter side of things, you tend to have more energy. When you are feeling more energetic and confident, you are more apt to be active and engage in physical activity.
5. Find a physical activity that you like and stick to it. You’ll continue to challenge yourself and see your body gain strength the longer you keep with it. Also, even in the summer, it is good to get outside and enjoy fresh air. Pick an outdoor activity — going on a hike or nature walk, cycling, rollerblading, swimming — to get your Vitamin D and escape cooped-up gym workouts.
6. Last, but definitely not least, regularly take classes with us at Shine Alternative Fitness. You’ll gain an experience that isn’t offered anywhere else, and you’ll benefit from unique and innovative group fitness classes. All of our classes focus on the natural gifts and abilities of the human body for guests of all ages and skill levels.
Check out our other guest columns today from Jabbawockeez manager Lee Razalan, Las Vegas Film Festival Director Milo Kostelecky and Ri Ra Irish Pub bartender John Fitzgerald and on Friday hair guru to the stars Michael Boychuck.
Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.
Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.
Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.
Follow VDLX Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.