Monday, Sept. 10, 2012 | 2:33 p.m.
We have Wicked Whispers & Racy Rumors to start the workweek!
* Which shock jock radio personality trashed one of our Las Vegas hotels at length on his daily satellite show?
* Clark County officials have given a thumbs-up to Barrett-Jackson Auction to showcase 80 collector vehicles along the Strip on Sept. 19, the day before its fifth annual car auction at Mandalay Bay. The cars will travel from the Convention Center to Mandalay Bay with Las Vegas Metro escorts and two tow trucks.
Speed TV will broadcast 20 hours of live coverage from the auction, which will highlight a 1954 Kaiser Darrin Roadster, a 1955 Cadillac convertible and a 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake fastback.
* The cast of “Pawn Stars” will be featured on new slot machines to be unveiled at the Global Gaming Expo on Oct. 1. Bally Technologies will launch the “Pawn Stars” slot machine along with a new NASCAR video slot machine featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. The “Pawn Stars” game starts with a player choosing his favorite character to buy, sell and negotiate with a giant-wheel, IDeck interaction featuring 11 wheel-bonus prizes.
“It’s an explosion of content with record-setting innovation,” said Bally’s CEO Richard Haddrill. The cast of “Pawn Stars,” broadcast in 37 languages in more than 150 countries, will unveil the machines at G2E at the Venetian’s Sands Convention Center before the slots are rolled out to casinos and around the world. (Meantime, fan favorite Austin “Chumlee” Russell” celebrated his 30th birthday at LAX in the Luxor on Saturday night.)
* Jeremiah Captain, the new coach of our Lingerie Football League team the Las Vegas Sin, plans to start mini-camp training next month after making final player selections Tuesday. He has the team practicing once weekly for now with key returners Nikki Johnson, Cassandra Strickland and Danika Bruce.
* Singer Pia Zadora confirmed that she will return for more singing engagements at Cabaret Jazz in the Smith Center for the Performing Arts following her success there this summer. She chatted with me at the opening party of chef Enzo Febbraro’s Italian restaurant Allegro in the Wynn last Thursday.
For Pia and I, it was a reunion after a 25-year gap in our friendship when she was married to former Riviera boss Meshulam Ricklis and showed me their sprawling Pickfair mansion on “Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous.” Pia now lives here in Summerlin with her third husband but brought her first hubby restaurateur George Harris from the Latin American restaurant Mundo, who told me that he’s opening another restaurant on Fremont Street.
Pia laughed, saying she’d just spent a month with Meshulam while he was recuperating in La Jolla, Calif., and that George was her date because her current hubby was working a nightshift for the LVPD. “We are all great friends,” George said. “No hard feelings among us because she’s such a doll.”
Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.
Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.
Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.
Follow VDLX Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.