Las Vegas Sun

November 28, 2014

Currently: 65° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Celine Dion reveals details of Caesars Palace return to Oprah Winfrey

Image

Tom Donoghue/www.donoghuephotography.com

Celine Dion in concert in Tampa, Fla., on Jan. 28, 2009.

Updated Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2010 | 10:45 a.m.

Celine: Through the Eyes of the World

A still from Celine Dion's new movie Celine: Through the Eyes of the World. Launch slideshow »

Celine Dion's 2009 Taking Chances World Tour

Celine Dion's 2009 Taking Chances World Tour. Launch slideshow »

Superstar Celine Dion has made it official this morning that she's coming back to Caesars Palace in a new $100 million deal for 70 music concerts a year for three years starting March 15, 2011.

Tickets should go on sale this Friday for the first set of shows. Dates for the follow-up shows have not yet been released, and Dion and husband and manager Rene Angelil said they will be set around their 9-year-old son Rene-Charles' school schedule so that Celine doesn't miss any of those responsibilities. That might be possible by following the example set by Garth Brooks in his contract with hotel mogul Steve Wynn at the Encore Theater in the Wynn.

Dion is on today's The Oprah Winfrey Show talking about her return to Las Vegas, and also her fifth attempt to become pregnant through in-vitro fertilization. She said she was heartbroken when she suffered a miscarriage last August.

Dion herself told Oprah: "It's not a rumor. I'm going back to Las Vegas. It's a brand new show, 31 musicians, a big orchestra. Obviously, I'm going to be doing my hits, but also a tribute to movies, Hollywood movies with amazing visuals."

Angelil, who told Vegas DeLuxe as far back as November 2008 about the couple's desire to return to The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, said this new second set of shows will be just as exciting as A New Day that wrapped in December 2007 after playing to more than 3 million people and earning more than $400 million at the Caesars box office.

Grammy Awards mastermind Ken Ehrlich will oversee the new production, which will feature 31 musicians in a concert setting. Nine of the musicians have been with Dion since her career began.

The Canadian songbird divulges a few additional details on today's Oprah while she promotes her new movie doc Celine: Through the Eyes of the World. It opens next Wednesday at theaters around the world with just eight screenings through the end of February and records her amazing 14-month Taking Chances global tour that ended back home in Canada last spring.

"We're very happy to return to the Las Vegas stage," Angelil told their hometown Montreal newsmagazine. He promised a large-scale show that will showcase Dion's voice, adding: "The schedule will be humane for Celine, to avoid tiring her out. This assures Celine will be able to balance work and family."

It's believed that the new run of Caesars Palace shows will mirror her performance last year during Quebec City's 400th anniversary celebration. Angelil also promised: "This second show in Las Vegas will be as amazing as the first adventure with A New Day."

According to a press release emailed to media this morning, the show's concept will be one-of-a-kind, centered on capturing the romance of classic Hollywood movies and performed with a stunning visual presentation. Tickets for the first 54 performances from March 15 through Aug. 14, 2011, go on sale Friday.

"I'm coming back home to The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, and I'm very excited about it," Celine said in the press release. "With the orchestra and the band, we're going to be able to perform our songs like never before. The repertoire is going to be extraordinary ... a mix of timeless Hollywood classics, along with all the favorites that my fans like to hear me sing. It's going to be a very beautiful show, and I think we'll be raising the bar higher than we've ever done before. There'll be some truly wonderful moments. ... I can't wait!"

"AEG is excited about the return of the Female Artist of the Decade," said John Meglen, president and co-CEO of AEG Live/Concerts West. "Celine's impact on the entertainment standard in Las Vegas is the bar all others compare to. We look forward to her return to The Colosseum. We are excited about continuing our success with Caesars Palace and are optimistic on the future of Las Vegas."

"Caesars Palace is thrilled to welcome Celine's fans from all over the world," Caesars Palace President Gary Selesner said. "I can't overstate the excitement among our team members, guests and partners, all of whom consider Celine and her husband Rene special members of the Caesars Palace family."