Blog Post Archive
- Sierra Club hosting 10 green parties in Nevada
- Wednesday, July 16, 2008
- As part of Sierra Club's national Light Bulbs to Leadership campaign, the environmental group will host more than 200 house parties throughout the nation Thursday.
- Snake Valley water hearings won't happen until late next year
- Tuesday, July 15, 2008
- Opponents of Southern Nevada Water Authority’s plans to pump water from Snake Valley in Eastern Nevada to fast-growing Las Vegas will have more than a year to build a case against the pipeline.
- Water hearings delayed a year
- Tuesday, July 15, 2008
- Hearings over whether the Southern Nevada Water Authority will be allowed to pump water from Snake Valley, on the Utah border, will not be held until fall of 2009.
- BLM lifts solar moratorium 21 months early
- Wednesday, July 2, 2008
- The Bureau of Land Management announced today that it will end a one-month-old moratorium on new solar applications on land it stewards in six southwest states, including Nevada.
- National clean energy summit coming to UNLV
- Tuesday, July 1, 2008
- Sen. Harry Reid today announced a National Clean Energy Summit to be held at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Aug. 19.
- New mining claims banned in region around Grand Canyon National Park
- Wednesday, June 25, 2008
- A House committee today invoked rarely-used powers to ban new mining claims on about a million acres adjacent to Grand Canyon National Park.
- Green jobs town hall meeting Tuesday
- Monday, June 23, 2008
A so-called "green" economy could create more than 19,000 manufacturing jobs in the Las Vegas Valley, according to business leaders, a steelworkers and environmental groups that are hosting a town hall meeting here Tuesday.
- Builders pay up for alleged water violations
- Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Four of the nation's largest residential builders have agreed to pay $4.3 million - including $182,000 to the state of Nevada - in a settlement with the U.S. Environmental Protect Agency for alleged violations of the Clean Water Act.
- Poll indicates support for protection of Gold Butte
- Thursday, June 5, 2008
- Two-thirds of Clark County voters support protecting additional public lands in Nevada, according to a recent poll by Public Opinion Strategies.
- Nevada to be part of solar study
- Friday, May 30, 2008
- The Bureau of Land Management announced Thursday that it will study the environmental impacts of solar energy development in six Western states, including Nevada.
- Las Vegas' carbon footprint surprisingly small
- Thursday, May 29, 2008
A report released today by the Brookings Institution ranked the country's 100 largest metro areas by their carbon emissions.
- Higher water bills postponed
- Thursday, April 3, 2008
Las Vegans who were to see a 23 percent increase on their April water bill can rest easy - at least for another month.
- Federal regulators eyeing Nevada Power investor
- Tuesday, March 25, 2008
- Turns out environmentalists aren’t the only ones interested in the money behind Sierra Pacific Resources, the company that owns Nevada Power Co. and Sierra Pacific Power Co.
- St. George to have say on Mesquite coal plant
- Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2008
- Although the Nevada Environmental Protection Division refused to hold a hearing in St. George to hear concerns of residents who say they will be downwind of the proposed coal plant, the Utah Division of Air Quality will.
- Sen. Reid accuses coal industry of using "the old Hitler lie"
- Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid laid out plans to stimulate the national renewable energy industry during the opening of this week's Renewable Energy World Conference in Las Vegas.
- Analysts predict no Ely coal-fired power plant (UPDATE)
- Monday, Feb. 11, 2008
- In an interview today, Yackira said the analyst's comments meant to imply that it won't matter to investors whether the company builds the Ely plant, not that the plant won't happen.
- Analyst predicts no Ely coal-fired power plant
- Monday, Feb. 11, 2008
- One Wall Street analyst last week upgraded stock of Sierra Pacific
Resources, Nevada Power's parent company, to "buy."
- Another black mark for coal
- Monday, Feb. 4, 2008
- Reid: Coal industry promoting disinformation
- Friday, Jan. 25, 2008
- Energy CEO: Allow coal, for the Strip's sake
- Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008
- Clinton carries Bellagio
- Saturday, Jan. 19, 2008
- Coal power plants opposed
- Thursday, Jan. 17, 2008
- Common cause: dislike of coal
- Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2008
- Find the pollster (UPDATED)
- Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008
- Cost, not coal may be plant's main issue
- Friday, Jan. 11, 2008
- Westgate Las Vegas owner David Siegel: ‘I like the odds here — we know what we can do out here’
- Lawsuit alleges Wynn Elementary staff bullied girl, 10, for being black
- Tahoe trashed: Beach crowds take memories, leave garbage
- Deja vu! Pamela Anderson splits from husband Rick Salomon for second time
- Coroner: Man found in Electric Daisy parking lot OD’d on Ecstasy