Las Vegas Magazine staff writer Kiko Miyasato is a Valley girl by birth and a new millennium hippie by practice. She studied English literature at Northeastern University and Cambridge University and was an ad copywriter before joining Las Vegas Magazine. She also writes for the National Museum of Hip-Hop and enjoys writing poetry and spending quality time with her husband.
- Local artists keep the brush loaded in downtown arts movement
- Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013
- It’s the village of the downtown arts scene you’ll find the Las Vegas Backyard Wall and four artists who are committed to bringing that art scene out of the shadows.
- Singer Andy Vargas vocalizes his Vegas favorites
- Sunday, April 25, 2010
- Andy Vargas currently shares his vocal talents alongside guitar legend Carlos Santana and the Santana band, who perform their resident show, "Supernatural Santana: A Trip Through the Hits," at the Hard Rock Hotel.
- Businessman Fabrizio Boccardi bets big on Vegas
- Monday, April 5, 2010
- Born in Milan, Italy, entrepreneur Fabrizio Boccardi is founder, chairman of the board of directors and CEO of King Midas World Entertainment Inc., a company that focuses on media, gaming and publishing. Through his company, Boccardi is in preproduction for a movie based on the book "The Seven Sins," which takes place in Las Vegas and was inspired by his own rags-to-riches story.
- Speed skating legend Andy Gabel cuts across his Vegas faves
- Sunday, Feb. 21, 2010
- NBC's color commentator for short-track speed skating at the Winter Olympics, Andy Gabel, is no stranger to the sport. A member of the U.S speed skating team, Gabel competed in four Olympics, including the 1994 games, where he helped the U.S. take silver in the men's 5,000-meter relay. His passion for sports carried over into a successful business venture as president of Gabel Distributors, the largest supplier of continuous passive motion machines and cold therapy devices in Las Vegas.
- Hawaiian dream Jasmine Trias gets vocal about Vegas
- Sunday, Feb. 14, 2010
- Making it into the top three finalists on the third season of American Idol was no easy feat, but singing sensation Jasmine Trias did it. A native of Hawaii and of Filipino descent, Trias gained legions of fans in her home state and across America and the Far East. In the Philippines, she has become a superstar and was nominated for Favorite Hip Hop and R&B video in the MTV Pilipinas Video Music Awards. Trias currently stars in the Society of Seven variety show at Gold Coast with her Hawaiian counterparts.
- Carlos Mencia spreads some comic relief
- Stand-up comedian shares what's on his mind about his Las Vegas faves
- Sunday, Feb. 7, 2010
- Carlos Mencia wants to make Americans laugh, but he also wants to give them perspective on the world around them. As a comic, his stand-up routines often involve political, social and racial issues, but at the heart of his performance is something positive: He legitimately wants to bring the country together. Rising to fame on Comedy Central's "Mind of Mencia," the Honduran-born comic stopped in Baghdad this past December for his Tour for the Troops.
- Alton White: The hip cat from Broadway
- 'The Lion King's' Musafa shows pride for Las Vegas
- Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010
- For Alton Fitzgerald White, it was a lifelong dream to be a Las Vegas performer. But Broadway called first, with roles in hits such as Miss Saigon, The Who's Tommy, Ragtime and The Color Purple. It wasn't until 2009 that White's dream came to fruition, when he landed the role of Mufasa in The Lion King at Mandalay Bay.
- Mister Perfecto, Paul Oakenfold, spins a few of his faves
- Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009
- One of the most recognizable names in DJ culture, Paul Oakenfold has remixed some of pop music's biggest stars, including Madonna and Justin Timberlake. As a touring artist, he's sold out the Hollywood Bowl and taken up his first U.S. residency, Perfecto Vegas, at Rain nightclub inside the Palms. On New Year's Eve, Oakenfold spins on his home turf, sure to be one of the biggest parties in town.
- Doughnut Rambo: Cambodia refugee finds success, friendship in Las Vegas
- Demolition of flawed tower at CityCenter delayed again
- Encore and MGM Grand named among world’s top hotels
- How many drinks does the world’s fastest bartender (he works in Las Vegas!) make in an hour?
- Not feeding the meters at Town Square? Not to worry