- Web site:
With a new principal and a new mascot, Elizondo Elementary School, located in industrial outskirts of North Las Vegas, hopes to successfully turn the school’s level of achievement around. The school is under pressure to improve test scores, and with only 19 of last year’s 110 fifth-graders passing the writing test, it has some of the district’s lowest scores.
More than 65 percent of Elizondo students are classified as having low socio-economic status. With a high transiency rate and a large Hispanic population, the school is focused on working with students to overcome their familial and financial changes.
This year, more than half the teachers have been replaced and student achievement is on the top of the list. Principal Keith France has extended the school day by 70 minutes. Students must now wear uniforms, lunch breaks are staggered and students are let out of school at different locations around campus by grade level to curb bullying.
Although Elizondo offers an unique full-day kindergarten program that benefits many low-income families, the program has caused class sizes to swell above the state average of 30 students per kindergarten class.
Elizondo differs from other Clark County schools not only because it’s a turnaround school, but because it’s also managed by EdisonLearning Inc., a controversial New York-based for-profit education company that has had mixed success. The school still must abide by district academic standards and policies.
- Year built:
- Principal (Year Hired):
- Keith France (2011)
- School motto:
- “Learners today, leaders tomorrow”
- Approximately 654
- School Report Card:
Compiled by Aida Ahmed
- Allegiant offering bargain flights in Thanksgiving promotion
- Foxwoods, biggest U.S. casino, cuts back on gambling
- Man stabbed to death on Strip pedestrian bridge; suspect arrested
- Judge in Reno blocks Uber’s ride-sharing in Nevada
- Coroner IDs grandfather hit, killed while pushing stroller
- 4 Las Vegas casino companies earn top marks for LGBT practices
- 2 arrested in theft of property from unlocked cars in Henderson
- Man arrested in fatal shooting near Las Vegas Strip
- Report: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao purse split: $100M vs. $60M
- Cirque restoring ‘Ka’ battle scene after performer’s death
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.