- Web site:
Mojave High School is Rattler Nation, but really it’s home to underdogs.
Minutes from the Nellis Air Force Base the school is nestled near Commerce Street and West Ann Road, an area littered with foreclosed homes.
The school is attended by many students who are underprivileged or at-risk. After Mojave failed to meet No Child Left Behind standards it became one of five Clark County Schools determined to do a 180.
In order to make the turnaround a reality, Mojave has implemented new faculty, extended the school day by 20 minutes and is geared towards boosting school spirit.
“The problem we have right now is that our children aren’t proud of their own school,” Mojave principal Antonio Rael explained an August interview. “When our children begin to take pride in our school, our community will follow.”
- Year built:
- Rattle Snake
- Principal (Year Hired):
- Antonio Rael (2001)
- School motto:
- “Promoting Achievement, Creating Success”
- Mission Statement:
- “The Mission of the Mojave High School Community is to provide a safe learning environment that will empower students to develop excellence, pride, respect, and skills necessary for future success.”
- Approximately 2,000
- School Report Card:
Compiled by Gregan Wingert
- Higher dues for homeowners at stake in HOA legislation
- Gay adoptive parents live as a ‘normal family’ in Las Vegas but yearn for right to marry
- Boyd casinos drop the green flag on new NASCAR slot machine
- Men arrested in death of teen during iPad robbery held without bail
- Joe Downtown: Does Starbucks herald ‘arrival’ of East Fremont?
- Photos: Criss Angel’s buried alive in cement stunt at The Mirage is shut down
- Joe Downtown: Tony Hsieh leads Ashton Kutcher on downtown tour
- Donald Trump wins court battle with an 87-year-old grandmother
- Police: Purse missing from home where 75-year-old woman found dead
- Present law in Nevada makes it easy for abusers to buy guns
Penn Jillette finishes second but spins a lot of magic on 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' (2 Comments)
Live from the Billboard Music Awards: Swift wins Top Artist; Bieber wins Milestone Award; Prince burns in finale (2 Comments)
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.