- Web site:
Mojave High School is Rattler Nation, but really it’s home to underdogs.
Minutes from the Nellis Air Force Base the school is nestled near Commerce Street and West Ann Road, an area littered with foreclosed homes.
The school is attended by many students who are underprivileged or at-risk. After Mojave failed to meet No Child Left Behind standards it became one of five Clark County Schools determined to do a 180.
In order to make the turnaround a reality, Mojave has implemented new faculty, extended the school day by 20 minutes and is geared towards boosting school spirit.
“The problem we have right now is that our children aren’t proud of their own school,” Mojave principal Antonio Rael explained an August interview. “When our children begin to take pride in our school, our community will follow.”
- Year built:
- Rattle Snake
- Principal (Year Hired):
- Antonio Rael (2001)
- School motto:
- “Promoting Achievement, Creating Success”
- Mission Statement:
- “The Mission of the Mojave High School Community is to provide a safe learning environment that will empower students to develop excellence, pride, respect, and skills necessary for future success.”
- Approximately 2,000
- School Report Card:
Compiled by Gregan Wingert
- Short supply of beef and pork is creating largest price increase in years
- School district’s challenge: Fill 800 teaching positions in three weeks
- US stocks plunge, wiping out July’s gains
- Private companies hope to use public bus stops for shuttle services
- Dave Koz is bringing saxy back, talks L.V., ‘Summer Horns’ and coming out 10 years ago
- Driver in Egg & I crash sentenced to 6 to 20 years
- Nevada in running for 6,500-worker battery ‘gigafactory’
- Metro Police ID officers in shooting of suspect in fatal home attack
- Police: Man killed in apparent shooting near downtown
- Billionaire James Packer seeking return to Las Vegas
Locally owned and independent for more than 50 years.