Hand of Faith
In the spring of 1980, Kevin Hillier took his new metal detector out for a spin in his tiny hometown of Wedderburn, Australia. Instead of a bottle cap or a paper clip, he found a 61-pound golden nugget barely a foot underground. Today, it makes its home in our lobby.
The Hand of Faith is the biggest golden nugget in existence, the second-biggest ever discovered, and the biggest ever found with a metal detector. (And in case you’re wondering, Hillier made out just fine. He sold his golden nugget to the Golden Nugget for over a million dollars.)
- Bellagio robber spent stolen cash on prostitutes, hotel room, police say
- Worker killed in accident at Ocean Spray facility in Henderson
- Metro Police facing bigger crowds on streets downtown, on the Strip
- Driver killed after being ejected from SUV in rollover crash
- 6 more things that always happen in Las Vegas when it rains