Hand of Faith
In the spring of 1980, Kevin Hillier took his new metal detector out for a spin in his tiny hometown of Wedderburn, Australia. Instead of a bottle cap or a paper clip, he found a 61-pound golden nugget barely a foot underground. Today, it makes its home in our lobby.
The Hand of Faith is the biggest golden nugget in existence, the second-biggest ever discovered, and the biggest ever found with a metal detector. (And in case you’re wondering, Hillier made out just fine. He sold his golden nugget to the Golden Nugget for over a million dollars.)
- 58 companies pump $450 million into Southern Nevada’s economy
- Las Vegas deemed a top destination for tourists in 2014
- Preview: 2013 American Country Awards on Fox has stars galore, plus, our ‘Jubilee!’ showgirls
- Median home sales price drops 1.1 percent in November
- Overturned Jeep provided shelter for Nevadans stranded in frigid mountains