Hand of Faith
In the spring of 1980, Kevin Hillier took his new metal detector out for a spin in his tiny hometown of Wedderburn, Australia. Instead of a bottle cap or a paper clip, he found a 61-pound golden nugget barely a foot underground. Today, it makes its home in our lobby.
The Hand of Faith is the biggest golden nugget in existence, the second-biggest ever discovered, and the biggest ever found with a metal detector. (And in case you’re wondering, Hillier made out just fine. He sold his golden nugget to the Golden Nugget for over a million dollars.)
- Google tip led to Metro officer’s arrest on child porn counts
- Star of the year Britney Spears to receive her day, key to the Strip
- Allegiant jet returns to Las Vegas airport after reported engine trouble
- DUI arrest for Henderson cop driving wrong way on highway
- Nevada solar plant workers get nearly $2 million in back pay