Las Vegas Sun

July 22, 2014

Currently: 86° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire sparked by cigarette does $60,000 damage

A cigarette sparked a fire this morning that killed a pet dog and heavily damaged a North Las Vegas apartment, authorities said.

Firefighters at a station in the 2300 block of Daley Avenue noticed smoke and flames coming from an apartment building across the street and rushed to the burning structure about 6:45 a.m., North Las Vegas Fire Department Capt. Cedric Williams said.

They evacuated residents and put out the flames within about 10 minutes, he said.

A woman in the burning apartment escaped with minor injuries. Her dog was later found dead inside, officials said.

The woman’s apartment was a total loss, and a neighboring unit was badly damaged by smoke, Williams said. The fire caused about $60,000 damage, he said.

American Red Cross volunteers are providing the occupants of both apartments with temporary shelter.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy