Published Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014 | 5:51 a.m.
Updated Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014 | 5:51 a.m.
ANNECY, France (AP) — A prosecutor says French authorities have detained a second man in the grisly shooting deaths of a British-Iraqi man and three others 18 months ago in the Alps.
Annecy prosecutor Eric Maillaud told reporters Wednesday the crime hasn't been solved.
Maillaud provided new details of a 48-year-old man detained a day earlier, calling him a weapons collector and a former municipal police officer who left his job last year. Police raids turned up weapons including vintage guns, a grenade and mortars at his home.
A friend was also detained. Maillaud said the two may have links to illegal weapons sales or trafficking.
Authorities are pursuing several possible leads behind the killings of Saad al-Hilli, his wife, an elderly relative and a French cyclist in a wooded area in September 2012.