Published Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014 | 12:44 a.m.
Updated Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014 | 12:45 a.m.
BEIRUT (AP) — A close adviser to Syrian President Bashar Assad says the government has not yet decided on whether to take part in a second round of peace talks tentatively scheduled for next week.
Assad's political and media adviser Bouthaina Shaaban also told Syrian state television in an interview late Wednesday that the delegation that took part in last month's negotiations in Switzerland is still evaluating the first round of talks and briefing the leadership.
A tumultuous week of negotiations in Geneva between Assad's government and the main Western-backed Syrian opposition group ended without any significant headway. The U.N. has proposed opening a second round of discussions on Monday.
The opposition Syrian National Coalition already has agreed that to attend.