Las Vegas Sun

November 26, 2014

Currently: 65° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Space heater blamed in fire that displaced four

Image

Courtesy of Tim Szymanski, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue

A fire at this home in the 8100 block of Yucca Springs Drive caused an estimated $175,000 worth of damage.

Fire

A space heater likely sparked a fire that displaced four people in Las Vegas this afternoon, officials said.

Firefighters rushed to the burning house in the 8100 block of Yucca Springs Drive near Cimarron and Craig roads about 1:20 p.m., Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said. They put out the fire within about 15 minutes.

Two residents who were inside the house escaped without any injuries.

Flames were contained to two bedrooms, a hallway and a section of the attic. The fire caused an estimated $175,000 worth of damage.

Szymanski said the occupants told investigators a space heater had been turned on near a bed, which likely started the fire.

The American Red Cross is helping the displaced residents who escaped the fire and two others who were not home at the time.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy