Published Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 | 9:15 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 | 9:15 p.m.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A preliminary report presented to the Salt Lake City School District blames breakdowns in communication over a new payment system for up to 40 students' school lunches being taken away.
The Salt Lake Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/1kQdCaw ) that board members heard from Kelly Orton, district child nutrition department director, Tuesday night about why 30 to 40 children at Uintah Elementary who were trying to buy lunch last week had their meals thrown away in an incident that angered parents and prompted the district to put two employees on leave. The children, who had overdue food accounts, were given milk and fruit.
Under questioning, Orton says his department didn't properly tell parents about the new system and promised efforts so meals aren't tossed again. He says the investigation is ongoing.