Las Vegas Sun

December 21, 2014

Currently: 49° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Kitchen fire displaces family of six

A family of six was displaced from their home early this morning after a grease fire started in the kitchen, according to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

At about 3:45 a.m., an occupant of the home at 7900 Copper Canyon Road, near North Buffalo Drive and West Washington Avenue, was frying chicken when the grease caught fire, officials said.

The flames spread to the cabinets above the stove and other parts of the kitchen, according to a news release from fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski.

No one was injured, but by the time firefighters arrived, they could see smoke coming from the one-story, wood-frame house.

The fire heavily damaged the kitchen and caused some smoke damage in other parts of the house. Fire officials estimated damage at $25,000. The fire was extinguished within a few minutes.

The American Red Cross was assisting the two adults and four children who lived in the home, and Las Vegas Animal Control was sheltering the family’s pets.

Cooking accidents are the leading cause of fires and fire-related injuries in Las Vegas, officials said.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy