Las Vegas Sun

April 17, 2014

Currently: 81° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Boy dies after swallowing camera battery

Family members and doctors knew something was wrong when 1-year-old Julian Wilson started vomiting blood, but they didn’t find out he had swallowed a small battery until after an autopsy was performed.

Julian died earlier this month of internal bleeding, with cuts to his esophagus and gastric irritation, according to the Clark County Coroner’s Office. He also had a collapsed lung.

The boy had swallowed a camera battery, the office said. Coroner’s officials ruled his death an accident

Paramedics were called to the boy’s house Oct. 18, but even doctors had trouble determining what was wrong.

Metro Police detectives were investigating the incident, but no charges have been filed, Metro spokesman Larry Hadfield said.

Button batteries, found in household items such as cameras, remote controls, watches and hearing aids, react with saliva and create an electrical charge that can burn the esophagus in as little as two hours, according to the National Capital Poison Center. Treatment requires surgery, and permanent damage is common.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy