Las Vegas Sun

April 20, 2014

Currently: 83° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire displaces family of 8, causes $50,000 damage

A kitchen fire that started with a cooking accident Sunday displaced a family of eight from a house in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded to the fire about 2:45 p.m. at 2017 Wengert Ave., near Eastern Avenue and Charleston Boulevard. The fire started in the kitchen and spread to the dining room and attic, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

Five adults and three children escaped the home without any injuries, Szymanski said.

The fire started on the stove, where cooking oil caught fire, Szymanski said. Firefighters extinguished the fire in a few minutes. It caused about $50,000 damage and gutted the kitchen, Szymanski said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy