Las Vegas Sun

July 28, 2014

Currently: 85° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Garage fire believed to have been started by children playing with emergency flare

Image

Courtesy photo

Three children were burned after accidentally setting fire to a shed in the 4600 block of Providence Lane on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, an official said.

Updated Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 | 6:17 p.m.

Children burned

A pair of children were burned this afternoon after accidentally setting fire to a garage with a road flare, according to officials.

Three kids between the of ages 10 and 13 were playing behind a vacant house at the 4600 block of Providence Lane when they accidentally started the fire about 2:22 p.m., said Tim Szymanski, a spokesman for Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

They tried to stomp out the fire and two of them burned their legs before running home to call 911. Their injuries were considered “very minor but painful,” Szymanski said. The kids were hospitalized and officials say they will likely be released tonight.

Firefighters arrived minutes later and quickly put out the flames.

The fire, which was deemed an accident, caused an estimated $10,000 worth of damage.

The children and their parents will be referred to the Juvenile Firesetter Intervention Program, which teaches children and parents about the dangers of playing with fire.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy