Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013 | 9:45 p.m.
Eight elderly residents safely escaped from a burning group home in northwest Las Vegas Tuesday afternoon thanks to an automatic fire sprinkler that confined flames to one room, fire officials said.
The fire erupted inside a clothes dryer at an assisted care group home in the 1700 block of Battle Creek Circle, near Torrey Pines and Vegas drives, about 2 p.m. When the dryer caught fire, an overhead sprinkler was activated and kept the blaze contained until emergency responders arrived, according to the Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Department.
The eight elderly residents got out safely before Las Vegas and North Las Vegas firefighters put the fire out.
While the fire did not spread past the dryer, the rest of the house had minor smoke damage. Damage was estimated at $2,500.
The American Red Cross is placing the group inside a temporary home until the house is cleaned.