Las Vegas Sun

October 22, 2014

Currently: 77° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Fire breaks out at vacant apartment building used by homeless

Updated Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013 | 11:41 a.m.

Fire broke out in downtown Las Vegas on Thanksgiving morning at a vacant apartment building being used by homeless people, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials said.

There were no injuries, officials said. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

The fire was reported at 8:38 a.m. today at the two-story building at 223 N. 9th St., between Ogden and Stewart avenues, fire department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

Firefighters found a mattress burning on the second floor and put out the blaze within minutes, Szymanski said. The fire was contained to one room, he said.

Investigators believe the fire started in the mattress. They also found evidence of previous small fires in the building caused by discarded smoking materials, Szymanski said.

It also appears someone was stripping copper wire out of the building, he said. Firefighters notified Metro Police of the possible theft.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy