Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013 | 10:58 a.m.
An arraignment for a man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl outside a school was delayed today after his family ran out of money to pay for his private attorney.
The defendant, Richard Martin Schlacta, was appointed a public defender, but his new lawyer will need time to review the case before Schlacta enters a plea, Hearing Master Melisa De La Garza said.
A status check was set for Dec. 11.
Schlacta faces charges including sexual assault of a child under 14, first-degree kidnapping, battery and coercion with force or threat of force.
During a preliminary hearing last week, the skinny, 13-year-old girl took the witness stand and testified how a man held a knife to her neck, dragged her away from her bus stop and sexually assaulted her.
The man approached the girl the morning of Aug. 28 while she was locking up her bicycle at a bus stop at C.W. Woodbury Middle School, 3875 E. Harmon Ave., according to police reports. It was the first week of school, and she was supposed to get on a bus to Knudson Magnet School.
Schlacta allegedly dragged the girl between school buildings and sexually assaulted her, Metro Police Lt. Dan McGrath said.
During last week’s hearing, the girl said the man forced her to have oral sex and that after he started to pull down her pants, she managed to escape and flag down a passing car.
Police found Schlacta a few blocks away; his car was found at the school.
The girl was transported to University Medical Center with several cuts on her arms.
Schlacta remains in the Clark County Detention Center on $1 million bail.