Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013 | 3:45 p.m.
Getting a healthful meal at McCarran International Airport is more difficult than it was a year ago, according to a new survey by a Washington, D.C.-based health group.
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine says McCarran ranks next to last on a list of the nation’s busiest airports surveyed in the group’s annual Airport Food Review.
The survey found 68 percent – 40 of 59 –restaurants at McCarran offered at least one high-fiber, cholesterol-free, plant-based entrée on its menu. The number was down from 91 percent found at McCarran just a year ago.
Here’s what the Physicians Committee said about McCarran:
“Las Vegas takes a nosedive, losing 23 points and dropping from second to 12th place. The good news? Pei Wei offers Hunan vegetable lettuce wraps while Sammy’s Beach Bar prepares a mixed greens beach salad topped with portobello mushrooms. Travelers on the go can pick up black bean or grilled veggie burritos from Baja Fresh, Don Alejandro's Texan Grill, Jose Cuervo Tequileria, and Moe's Southwest Grill.”
The Physician’s Committee said the average among the nation’s 18 busiest airports was 76 percent. Travelers, on average, are able to find more healthful meals today than they were at the dawn of the millennium, when the survey was first taken. In 2001, the average was 57 percent.
The survey did consider snack bars, newsstands or small coffee shops in its rankings unless they serve entrees.
Here's this year's rankings:
- 1. Denver International Airport, 86 percent
- 2. (tie) Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport, 85 percent
- 3. (tie) Los Angeles International Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, 83 percent
- 4. (tie) Baltimore/Washington International Airport
- Washington Dulles International Airport, 80 percent
- 5. (tie) Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, 79 percent
- 6. San Francisco International Airport, 76 percent
- 7. Newark Liberty International Airport, 74 percent
- 8. Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport, 73 percent
- 9. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, 72 percent
- 10. (tie) Orlando International Airport
- Miami International Airport, 71 percent
- 11. Charlotte Douglas International Airport, 70 percent
- 12. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, 68 percent
- 13. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, 51 percent