Las Vegas Sun

December 21, 2014

Currently: 50° — Complete forecast | Log in | Create an account

Firefighters called to apartment after cooking mishap ignites blaze

Apartment fire

A cooking accident sparked a fire that charred the inside of a second-floor apartment Wednesday afternoon on Twain Avenue.

Clark County Fire responded to the blaze about 3 p.m. at 5101 Twain Avenue, near Nellis Boulevard. Preliminary investigation indicates that the two occupants inside the home were cooking when some grease caught fire, fire officials said.

Firefighters arrived to find flames and smoke showing from the second-floor apartment, officials said. They extinguished the fire about 20 minutes later.

One occupant cut his finger on broken glass and the other was treated for smoke inhalation. No one was transported to a hospital, officials said.

Officials estimate the damage to the apartment to be more than $75,000. While the fire was contained to one apartment, a next-door apartment suffered smoke damage and a bottom-floor apartment sustained water damage.

Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy